Monday 22 October 2012

|| Motherhood Ke Side Effects ||

...and there are all too many!

SE: Like gorging on a bowlful of cookies & cream ice-cream - guilt free - while I draft my first ever personal blog post. I can always work it off over the next few months. Four months post delivery, I am still wallowing in my 'pregnancy weight', rightfully of course. Also I can tell you that melted ice-cream tastes just as good... only a tad bit less chilled than I prefer.

SE: Have you heard a 'soundless sneeze'... of course, you haven't. Thanks to the little man who's super sharp hearing can distract him even while he feeds and a truck honks 15 floors below us... I've now mastered the art of silent sneezing.

SE: Never before have I appreciated the the true meaning of 'pin-drop silence' as much. I had just about put Rey to sleep, and as I was slyly slipping away I managed to drop a safety pin on the floor. Cringing and cursing my butter-fingered self was an instant reaction. The sound of the falling pin could quite easily have woken him up, I thought. The continuous hum of the fan and his own breathing are the only things that Rey hears at this moment. I've taken a position as far away from the bed as possible, lest he wakes up from the sound of my typing.

SE: The number of missed calls I have to return on a daily basis, me thinks, may even lead people to believe that I am avoiding them on purpose. And funnily enough its not a-particular time of the day when I miss calls... the timings are rather erratic Only this morning when I had barely woken up, I checked my phone to find four missed calls. It didn't surprise me. What did though was the time - 8:38am! And then I heard the door bell ring. And what also rang to break the 'pin-drop' silence were Rey's cries. My little man was awake. My day had begun :)

SE: "When do I usually have lunch?" you ask...
4 months ago: "Around 1:30ish"
Now: "Today I had it at 2:15, yesterday...lets see - 1:00 I think. Day before... can't really remember."

My lunch window is governed by Rey's afternoon nap, which he decides to take at his own discretion, each day. As soon as he is asleep, and I have successfully tucked him in, I make a run - on tip toe - for the kitchen. Its funny though how every time when I have just finished heating my food, he decides to wake up, just to be cuddled and re-tucked in. When I mentioned this to my mom, she said it was a common phenomena with mothers. That babies have this eerie sense of when the mother is going to eat, and will invariably wake up just then. Anyhow... this daily routine has now taught me how to relish cold food. Those who know me will know how much I hated cold lunches. So much so that I'd never have sandwiches for lunch, unless they could be freshly toasted.

SE: The minimal levels of adult activity in my life is rather stark. Wait... I only mean conversations, really. Franky, I don't remember the last time I had a conversation which was minus Rey. Be it my colleagues, parents, husband, friends... all I remember discussing, sharing or laughing about is Rey and his antics. (Mental note: must make an effort to at least read the newspaper regularly)

And a few more SEs...
There is no longer a fixed time to sleep. No weekends either.
I've learnt to appreciate the length of a full-five-minutes.
The only alone-time I do manage is in the shower.
Checking e-mail is no longer a daily activity.
I have googled ways of entertaining babies.
At home we don't talk, we whisper.
I'm reliving play school with popular nursery rhymes.
I have developed a special respect for the tablet.
Don't remember the last time I saw the insides of a parlour or hair salon - thank goodness for such services made available at home.
I haven't eaten 'raste-ke-gol-gappe' in over a year (Mental note: added to my weekend wishlist)!
If you see me sporting a bald look any time soon, don't be surprised. Hair fall is an understatement.
People have sweet tooth, I have developed sweet-teeth - me thinks its super-delayed preggi cravings, which by the way I had zinlch!

And all this even while I've had a helping hands.. mummy dearest for the initial three months and currently the hubby If it weren't for their support, I'd be sporting the bald look already.

But you know what? For every side effect that motherhood has brought along, there is a million-dollar-toothless-smile that makes every waking hour more than just worthwhile.

love being Rey's mumma. I wouldn't have life any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your word or two will go a long way in making my blog enjoyable...Thanks!